Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer Reading List

This weekend I boxed up all my books except for the few I really want to read and have high hopes of starting (or finishing) before the big move on July 9. And since everyone does Summer Reading Lists, I don't see why I should be left out of the bunch. Seeing as how I can't control myself in Half Price Books, or Barnes and Noble, and the Amazon suggestions nearly breaks my budget every single month.


 A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin

Some of you may know that HBO recently started a new series based on this book series, and based on how successful True Blood was, I went ahead and got these books with a gift card at BN I received for graduation. I started the first one recently, and am totally intrigued by it. It's one of those slightly intimidating series, though. The books are quite large, have small print and very thin pages, but from what I've read of the reviews... they're absolutely worth it.






Dead Reckoning, by Charlaine Harris

The newest addition in the Sookie Stackhouse series, which I read in a weekend at the beach was, as all Charlaine Harris books are, worth the wait. If you haven't read this series yet, then I insist you must, as it's a fun getaway and a quick enjoyable read. Plus, True Blood is based on it, and really, if you've seen any of the male leads for that show, you know it's got to be good.








Percy Jackson and the Olympians, by Rick Riordan

I'm a little bit behind on this series, but seeing as how I don't spend any time in middle schools, and I completely missed the movie due to a fling with Harry Potter, I think I can be forgiven for the delay. Each of the Percy Jackson books is a quick read, since they're through and through "young adult" books. In fact, they can be found in the kids section at Barnes and Noble. But, they're the newest spin-off from the J.K Rowling using the ever successful structure of "we're the 3 best friends" of the boy-boy-girl variety. Add in some Greek mythology and you've got the Percy Jackson series, which, for a day at the pool, isn't such a bad thing. If you miss Harry Potter books like I do, then you'll find some appreciation for this series.




Crave, by J.R. Ward

J.R. Ward is, honestly, one of my favorite authors. I suggest reading the Black Dagger Brotherhood series before you dive into the Fallen Angels series, as I only started this series as a reprieve from the former. But, the WARDen (as her fans refer to her) doesn't disappoint in the Fallen Angel series, which is still new enough for you to catch up on and get excited about the release of the third book, Envy, in August. (The first book in this series is called Covet.... see a theme?)







The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature, by Matt Ridley

So, it's not fiction, and it's not real-life crime, but it appeals to my inner science dork. Matt Ridley has written other science-based books, but this is the only one of his which I currently own. And I'll spare you the notations on the works of Richard Dawkins, so that I can tout this book. I've not read it, yet, but plan to this summer. You know, which is why it's on the Summer Reading List. Which I'm sharing with you. Because I care. The Red Queen is a look at how sex has played a role in human evolution. And come on, who isn't intrigued by that?!?





The Passage, by Justin Cronin

Deemed something along the lines of the new "Salem's Lot" by reviewers, I've had this on my Kindle waiting for me to read it for a month now. (I'm easily distracted, by awesome books.) And every time I walk through a book store and see it, I am somehow compelled to touch this book and consider buying a paperback version of it. I promise, I'll read it next on the Kindle. The sequel to this highly acclaimed book comes out sometime next year, which means I now have a timeline!






So get reading, you guys, because it's good for your brain. And later I'll do a post on movies as a less eye-straining rendition of summer time-consumers.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment