Wednesday, July 6, 2011

So *this* is what it felt like.....

It, apparently, happens once a decade.

Someone who is stunningly guilty of murder is acquitted by a panel of 12 jurors and proceeds to walk the streets as a free person.

And it's a miserable failure of our American justice system.

Which, basically, makes me mad as hell. (Enough to type in a one-sentence-per-paragraph format)

I missed the OJ Simpson trial in 1995, and on that fateful morning in October that year I was busy learning something useful in the 6th grade (Or something like that). I'm sure Algebra was useful, at some point.

So, for all intensive purposes, I made up for the media circus that was that capital murder trial with the media circus that was this capital murder trial. And when I saw that the verdict for all charges except those of lying to a law enforcement officer was "not guilty" I was stunned. I thought that for sure she would have been found guilty. I mean, who else could have done this? How else could this little girl have died and been found in a swamp by her parent's house? If they knew that she died in the pool in June, then why did no one mention it during the months YEARS that it took this case to get to court?

I've never been one to follow reality TV, or get involved in the latest media craze, or circus act, or what not. I mean, honestly, the only thing I used to follow pop-culture-wise was Chelsea Lately, and even then it was sparse. I got so caught up in the Casey Anthony trial/drama, that I seriously think I transplanted part of my brain to that courtroom for the last few weeks.

And I'm pissed about the verdict.

And I slightly hate myself for that. I have zero connection to these people, and I've only been to Orlando for Disneyworld purposes, AND I don't even really like random children all that much. But I wanted to see this girl punished for her actions. I suppose I wanted to know, on some basic subconscious level that humanity does still exist and that good prevails over evil.

I was wrong.

1 comment:

  1. And I was too young to follow (or care) as well, but with OJ, people were divided on racial issues, as the DNA evidence was there, but was collected by a known racist. Major injustice, but with major controversy.

    With CA, we're all united with humanity and common sense. All but some morally bankrupt lawyers and ignorant jurors. This is just wrong on so many levels and I really hope her parents or someone has the right and will follow through with a wrongful death suit, which they better win b/c it makes me sick to think she'd be rich & famous for getting away with murder.

    ReplyDelete