Friday, July 15, 2011

Graduation Goggles

It's my last day of work at a job I've despised for quite some time now. And it wasn't my bosses that made me hate my job. It was one particular coworker, and the complete lack of anything substantial to do.

Yes, I'd really like to tell this person exactly what I think about them. And I'd LOVE to do it in a blog post. But I'm not that girl. It'd be mean and hateful, and I just don't want that kind of stuff on here. I said I'd leave here via the high road without driving the bus over her, and so I will.Even if she never will read it.

But that doesn't mean I won't leave her with a ton of crap to do that she should have done before I even started working here.....


Anyways, in other news, it all reminds me of The Exploding Meatball Sub episode of "How I Met Your Mother". They talk about "graduation goggles", which is that nostalgic feeling you get when something you despise is ending. Like high school, or working here. I wanted to embed a clip of it, but it's actually quite challenging to find one. So.... no clip for you.  

I will leave this photo, though. Because it's a more accurate description of Graduation Goggles in the workplace.

Since Marshall (who's name I can never remember) is quitting his job, he goes through this whole sequence of making his most despised moments actually happy memories. And it makes him second guess his decision. I didn't have that experience. I still very much fear that Monday morning, CTT will tell me that they didn't hire me and it was all a silly dream. (But thanks, crazy lady, would you be interested in participating in a research study?) I do remember how excited I was to start this job, how very cool it was to be getting not one but two offices in San Antonio, my own Blackberry (in addition to my personal iPhone), business cards, and the elite-ness of a management position. And then I walked in and met my coordinator. Who, as previously discussed, is a generally miserable excuse for a human being that decided to make my employment here hell from the very moment she laid eyes on me. I never trusted her, and was proven to be correct in that instinct throughout my tenure here as I made more and more discoveries of just how self-serving and non-cooperative she really is. I remember my first ever study that I initiated from feasibility to green-light, my first big contract, my first real business trip, and losing my first trial. This job was important to me in many ways, but as time went on, and things became less shiny and more real-world, I realized that this job was not at all what I thought it was nor what I honestly believed it had the potential to be. As long as the evil coordinator works here, this place will never grow into everything that the PI's want it to be. Primarily because she has a complete aversion to change (which I attribute to age, ignorance, and egotism) and the PI's are too scared they can't find someone to replace her. That is what makes me most sad about this place. The PI's are fantastic, they're excellent physicians and some of the best people I've ever worked for. They want this place to be the best it can be, and there's a huge market for clinical research in San Antonio, and they could stand to make a lot of money off of this industry if they just had someone running their company who really cared about it as much as they cared about themselves. And the coordinator they have now is not that person. I tried to be, but was blocked from doing so by evil coordinator.

The truth is, I won't miss this place. At all. But I made a friend here in Rita, who is our research assistant and a general badass person. Plus, she actually does all her work and our evil coordinator's work. While I blog. And become a desk accessory/paperweight during my last two weeks. (While also taking 5 days off.) Rita's awesome, and I know she sometimes reads this blog, so shout out to you, I'll totally miss you. Thanks for being such a great person and coworker, and if you ever need a reference for a new job, you've got my number. <3

Additionally, it stands to be noted that in the two weeks since I accepted new job, and turned in my resignation for old job I've gotten three different offers for interviews and jobs. All of which I've declined for one reason or another. I'm really excited about the company I'll be working for starting Monday. And that in itself says a lot.

I have a lot to do today, actually. Most of it is "finishing up" kind of stuff. I need to finish some budgetary stuff from this year, and change my passwords for my email, write my auto-response message, forward my emails to evil coordinator (dude, INCLUDING ALL THE SPAM), turn in my keys, clear out my internet cache (so no one can find my chloroform searches) and take all the shit that *actually* belongs to me home with me. Among other things. Hopefully I can get out of here early, as well, because it's not only Friday for me, but my last Friday here. And I have a date tonight. With a cute guy. Who I live with. (Still fun to say.)

HAPPY HARRY POTTER DAY!!!!!!!!!


See how I did that? How I waited until the actual calendar day of the Harry Potter release date before I told you Happy Harry Potter Day (which will from here on out be referred to as HHPD, or HPD if you aren't happy about it)??? It's a magical skill, actually, that I've worked on for years and years called patience. It's still very much a work in progress. Baby steps, people, baby steps.

So, I've cleaned off my desk of the actual shit I need to do today, and I feel it's about time I get rid of it. Because the sooner I do that, the sooner I can peace outta here.

1 comment: